February 17, 2013

Becoming A Woman


That night he looked at me, the tenderness of his gaze was upon me, and he said, "You have many lovers, and yet I alone love you. Other men love themselves in your nearness, I love you in your self.  Other men see a beauty in you that shall fade away sooner than their own years.  But I see in you a beauty that shall not fade away, and in the autumn of your days; that beauty shall not be afraid to gaze at itself in the mirror, and it shall not be offended.

"I alone love the unseen in you."
"All men love you for themselves.  I love you for yourself."

Then he walked away.
No other man ever walked the way he walked.  Was it a breath born in my garden that moved to the east?  Or was it a storm that would shake all things to their foundations?

I knew not, but on that night, the moonlight of his eyes slew the dragon in me, and I became a woman, a woman lost to the earth she had known, and finding herself in new places.  
/ Kahlil Gibran /

photo taken in Lisbon

8 comments:

  1. Awesome shot of the statue of the Portuguese dark marble statue celebrating one of Portugal’s greatest writers, the novelist Eça de Queiroz. He stands (fully clothed) beside the figure of a half naked woman, her arms spread in supplication. She’s meant to represent Truth, and at the base of this statue is a quote from Queiroz, the one that inspired the sculptor.
    Roughly translates into nglish as:

    “Over the hard nakedness of truth
    Lies a gauzy veil of fantasy.”

    I have found a very nice blog posted by you, Sophie! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belita, I can not say enough "thank you" to you...

      I ordered one of Eça de Queiroz's novel, and one of Fernando Pessoa's prose.

      Delete
  2. Love gives us strength and courage to be ourselves, truly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To provide a deeply opened space, like a blank canvas, allows the person to make marks as the way he or she simply is; and appreciate with sincere gratitude, this way of love, as to me, is intimately beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Great job and great is your effort making a smooth fusion between the picture and those sincere words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sophie,

    I liked your photos from Lisbon and also your writings.
    Isabel told me about your staying and I imagine the magnificent photo album you must have.
    I´ll get to you soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leonor.
      Yes, I did take lots of photos during my stay in Portugal, I don't have much time to organize all of them, but little by little I choose some I do like, to post here and on Flickr, not enough to call an Album yet. :)

      Once the Album has been settled,(when?) I will post a slideshow here. (I don't know if Belita mentioned to you, I do all things in a very slow pace) :DD

      Portugal is very different than all other European countries I had visited, Portugal has its own very unique depth and spirit, which I proudly experienced with Belita's company.

      Delete

~ Thank you ~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...